Sonam Kapoor and her husband Anand Ahuja are proud parents to a baby boy – Vayu. As they say, the period of pregnancy can be one of the most crucial phases in a woman’s life. And, we are sure the scenario wasn’t any different for Sonam either. However, now that she is a mother, the actress has taken it upon herself to educate the mothers-to-be out there with bits and pieces of information from her pregnancy journey. Sonam has been sharing stories on Instagram revealing her experience and lifestyle that she followed all through the time she was carrying her baby. Now, she has shared a series of stories elaborating on “prenatal foods”.
Sonam Kapoor suggested the following prenatal foods:
1. Vegetables: Sonam Kapoor stated that vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, spinach, cooked greens, tomatoes and red sweet peppers (for vitamin A and potassium) are good for your health.
2. Fruits: You must not skip fruits for sure. Some fruits like cantaloupe, honeydew, mangoes, prunes, bananas, apricots, oranges, and red or pink grapefruit (for potassium) are a must.
3. Dairy: According to Sonam Kapoor, fat-free or low-fat yoghurt, oat milk, soy milk coconut milk, buttermilk, and paneer (cottage cheese), are also beneficial at this stage. The actress revealed that she didn’t opt for dairy products as she is lactose intolerant.
4. Grains: Sonam Kapoor mentioned that she consumes a gluten-free diet. So, she found that ready-to-eat cereals/cooked cereals (for iron and folic acid) were easier on her gut.
5. Proteins: Don’t compromise on your protein intake. You can savour beans, dals and peas; nuts and seeds; chicken, lamb, salmon, trout, herring, sardines and pollock etc.
6. Water: Stressing more on this point, Sonam Kapoor stated that you need to keep yourself hydrated with water. Remember, this is very important.
In the next slide, Sonam Kapoor said that it’s imperative to source clean organic produce (avoid exposure to pesticides) and to cook it well. She expressed, “Avoid anything raw during pregnancy. This includes raw meat, fish and salads. The worst thing is to get a bad tummy prenatally; it can be dangerous for your baby’s well-being.”
She also suggested avoiding anything unpasteurised (dairy or juice). You should strictly stay away from alcohol and smoking at this stage of your life, she suggested.
The actress wrote, “Avoid caffeine girls; unfortunately chocolate contains caffeine. Limit coffee and chocolate intake.”
Many pregnant women are advised to eat food for two people. However, it’s a myth that Sonam Kapoor busted. She wrote, “It’s a myth when people say eat for two! Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Please be sensible while eating if you’re carrying a single baby you need only 350 calories more!”
Elaborating on her fitness routine during pregnancy, she told her fans that she did yoga and pilates throughout her pregnancy. She accepts that it isn’t dangerous to move. However, this is when you’ve been active before as well.
Alongside, Sonam Kapoor tagged a bunch of health experts who helped her in the journey.
We appreciate how Sonam Kapoor is opening up about her experiences of becoming a mother.
(This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.)
Featured Video Of The Day
Gobhi Pepper Fry Recipe | How To Make Gobhi Pepper Fry